Saturday, July 2, 2011

BigMan

A new constellation has been born. A star too big even for its large earthly body, has risen from ashes like a phoenix and returned home, continuing to shine as part of our ancient galaxy.

It was in a hotel business center when an urgent notice came to me about Clarence. I was on tour in Europe, and immediately got on a plane to be by his side. Our closeness was no secret to anyone. I loved him. He loved me. A tough loss doesn't even begin to define the shifting paradigm that began in that moment. You see, Clarence was my Santa Clause... an immortal figure that always inspired goodness and hope. He brought joy with him everywhere. And though I was not blind to his short comings as a man, or the frailty that became his body, these were all quickly dismissed by his enormous and inescapable love. Being near to Clarence meant being protected, being accepted; both cared for and cared about.

Having been by his side for several surgeries and procedures, I became comfortable with the understanding that if all else failed and bones broke or organs gave out, My Beloved BigMan would still be here. They were able to replace shattered hips, worn out knees and even put a corrective machine on his heart... they would just keep fixing our (what we had coined) 6 Billion Dollar Man. His final passing has been beyond crushing.

Navigating the troubled waters of his failing health and into his eternal sleep has been trying to say the least. The burden of such a loss is insurmountably deep and heavy. Clarence was more than an uncle to me. He was my Hero. He loved me like a father, we talked as best friends, and played together as brothers. People would often go back and forth about our blood relation, and I've never been one to correct this... he was ALL of these things to me.

It's a strange new world without Clarence. He has given so much through the years, and now we are left with a gaping BigMan sized hole in the universe. Yet, as his gift continues to inspire, and as we all continue to process the vast changes of our reality I again turn to music. It's what I have. It's what he gave me from the first moment of seeing him on stage. It's what he's left me with now, and the closeness and the love he and I shared will always remain captured in a moment through pursed lips on a metal mouthpiece.

Thanks to Bruce, Glen, Eddie and encouragement from several others, I picked up an instrument and found my solace, again in music. From deep inside my lungs, as though blowing life through a hollow chamber, I can still feel him. Finding him in each note, near to me... alive.

People have been saying to me- "It's up to you now", "You carry the torch", "You are the legacy". But this job is not one to be fulfilled by any single person; Clarence was more than a saxophone player, he was an ambassador with a mission to spread Love and Joy to the world. It's up to all of us now. We must all carry the torch. We must all be His Legacy.

The world will continue to change, and the pain will continue to be present. But, today we can bare hope, that the marks he left on us will courage us on to be Bigger. To share the message of love and joy to the world, and to carry each other, even when the stakes are down.

Bruce would often say- "You want to be like him, but you cannot". Clarence said in one of his final memos "I'm here to tell you that you can be. You can be the next BigMan, but it's going to take a lot of work, a lot of determination, and a lot of inspiration... to be the next BigMan"

"In the end, 3 things remain- Faith, Hope, & Love, the greatest of these is Love." Thank you Clarence, for being such a great beacon; such a Big Man. In the very words you would often share so beautifully, I return this message to you- "I love you. The Universe loves you. Be happy." ...May we carry the torch well.

21 comments:

  1. Jake, your words are so touching and very inspiring. Your love shared is no small thing, and unfortunately not everyone gets a chance to experience it. I am so happy for you that you were blessed in that way. Clarence was a blessing to many. Thank you for sharing him with us. Your friend from Portsmouth, VA... Karole

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake this was beautifully written, and also inspiring
    much love to you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done! There truly is a Big Man sized hole in the universe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Very well said. Absolutely beautiful.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very beautiful.
    Thanks for sharing this, Jake.
    So sorry for your loss!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Jake, This is a beautiful tribute to a special person. I have been lucky to have been a fan of Clarence for over 30 years. He has been a mythical figure, never getting closer than a few feet from him but his sax has always calmed me through out my life. I feel much closer to him now through all that has been written in tribute and his great book. I am sad for your loss. I have been fortunate to have found your music recently through my love for Glenn's music and I look forward to following your career and am comfortable in knowing you have C's spirit inside of you.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Could not be said any better. Met your Uncle two times 1978 and 2008. In 78 we were backstage in Miami and he was so great to us (16 at time). He was the coolest man I had ever met. He got autographs from the entire E Street Band and Bruce and spent time talking with us. Show was amazing as we all know and he had fans for life. Almost 33 years later and 20 shows in the US and in Europe, he is still the coolest man I have ever met. Sorry for your families loss, our hearts go out to you all. Thanks for sharing your feelings with us.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Jake, we all loved him from afar... So wonderful that you had the ability to actually know him. Here is a Tribute I put together, I'm not a pro or anything, just a fan that wanted to do a little something to remember him by...
    http://bit.ly/4ClarenceClemons

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your words Jake! I miss Big Man so much...I'm so happy I've got to meet him. He was a wonderful person..The best...He will forever be in my heart! Do you remember when you took me and Vivianne ( Tvilling) up to temple of soul when they played at Giant stadium in NJ oct-2009? And then I meet you and C at his book party at Hard rock in NYC a month later...I will forever cherish these moments!!! All my love to you and your family Jake. C will NEVER be forgotten! Moa xx

    ReplyDelete
  10. Jake, I never knew or heard of you til recently. I knew Clarence a long time ago and your words capture the essence of the man I knew then and the friend I have loved since. He is immortal to me now and you are his legacy and how he will be remembered. He was a mentor and guide to me and I thank God our paths crossed. It changed my life having him in it and I know you realize just how blessed you are in this life for your time with him. I see you made good on it and that he'll live on in your music and your spirit. I can live with that and in a way it lessens my hurt. You go dude... Heaven's waitin' on down the tracks....
    Medhawk61

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thank you Jake!!!

    We will always miss him!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I enjoyed your uncle's music and persona so much over the years. Through college and as a young adult I would collect whatever he played on whether as part of the E- Street Band, leading the Red Bank Rockers or blowing for Aretha Franklin. His personality came Off the vinyl and out the speakers. Though I'm never played the sax, my 11 year old son does. I tell him it's a real rock n roll band when there's a sax in it! We marked Clarence's passing by playing YouTube videos of him on stage with the Boss. I loved telling my son of seeing him in concert.

    When someone with Clarence's zest for life passes it reminds us of our own mortality. If he can die then we are all subject to the grave. Thank God we know there's more.

    I enjoyed meeting you yesterday at the cookout and playing hoops with you. I was the small guy on your team that crushed those young people's hopes of victory. Hope to see you and your family again at Grace. Praying for you wherever you go.

    Best,
    Tim

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think there's no such thing as "the next BigMan"... but of course you should try. Good luck!

    I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't imagine what must be for you people if we fans feel so devastated.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jake, your words are very inspiring. I can't wait to hear you play. Music can soothe and rock any soul. I hope to hear you play soon
    From,
    Macie

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow!
    Let's all try to be the legacy!
    Keep faith.
    See you Jake....
    Michael

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Jake,

    That was beautiful! I am still so sad and miss him so much. This may sound a little far out but I think that he sent me a message. "I love you."

    I loved him too. I was looking forward to seeing him again as it had been a long time....

    I am so glad that he taught you how to play the sax. My father didn't teach me that, but how to draw and paint and let me tell you, it's the ONLY thing in life that keeps me sane.

    Sorry for your loss. If it helps at all, it was a great loss for me too.

    With love,

    Clarence & Bruces' old friend &
    endangered species artist,

    CAROL LISA LOZITO,

    aka "Rosalitas' blonder sister" (Diane).

    ReplyDelete
  17. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Jakeeee , my little big man ... thank you for sharing these emotions, thoughts and words with us ... so inspiring indeed !
    As was C to many of us around the world .. so will you be aswell ..C said; who do you think I am ??? and I have no doubt that he probably added aswell "remember who you are !!! "
    No one can ever take the place of C, but you are the only one that can step into his footsteps, fill his footprint with your own presence... cause you and him are united as ONE
    you are the one person that can share his true legacy .. as you just did now by sharing these words, as you did before by sharing your music ...
    you, jakeeeee, you are in the possibility to continue to share his legacy among us .. so that the legacy of C and you and us can continue to become one... one of love , joy and knowledge:
    the knowledge that C will remain beside us , among us, in us .... with us forever
    THANK YOU my sweet friend for the wonderfull legacy that is part of you, that is IN you!
    We talked about it many times, but no words will ever describe how you feel , nor how we feel ...
    JUST KNOW who you are and follow your dream !!!
    Feel the love , the joy, the true essence that C has been spreading and sharing around the world ...(and still does) It will remain alive like the beauty of his spirit and will continue for aslong as we keep his legacy with us, among us ...
    so my dear sweet Jake, keep on going, doin' what you do : SHARE and remember who you are!
    I am so thankfull for all the greatness C has brought into our live, so thankfull you are part of my life too ...
    THANK YOU... follow your dream , wherever it may lead!

    Thank you for THAT!
    love & hugs

    ReplyDelete
  19. HAPPY BIRTHDAY CLARENCE,

    I love you more than words can say and always will.

    Please save me a sax solo. How about HARLEM NOCTURNE, my sweet and saxy friend? Did I just hear you say PETER GUN? No, RAMROD. Hey, Baby it's your birthday, do them all!!!! We'll celebrate it in the next life.

    Nice photo on this web page, Jake. I love it.

    Miss you like crazy, BIG MAN!


    Love always & forever and a day,

    Carol Lisa Lozito,
    "Painter for the Endangered Species" tm

    PS

    NICK - To see my copyrighted new image of Clarence & Bruce painted through too many tear drops and lots of music....go to LagunaArt.com,
    search artist - Carol Lozito

    PPS

    You can email and let me know what you think, OK.
    You have my gmail address on fb.

    ReplyDelete
  20. It feels so nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject. Really thankful to you for starting this.
    event staffing agency

    ReplyDelete
  21. I wanted to know more about Jake Clemons, nephew of the Big Man? And, what I am finding is that his blood is red like mine and his heart is built with a human touch... Through the internet by way of Facebook, YouTube and Jake's own website, I found a true greatness. His name is Jake Clemons and we all know the story behind the story.
    I love the fact that Jake stepped up to the plate and tried to fill the Big Man's shoes. However, my take is that Jake will not stand in or on those soulful spots; instead Jake in his unique way fills our life's song with a huge soulful sound all on his own. Mind you, my respect and admiration for the E-Street Band that welcomes new talent is huge. Jake's sound has become and will be bigger than the venue the E-Street Band plays in. Bruce performs to the human element and somewhere hearing Jake makes one believe in the future, and you just have too. I guess because Bruce's story telling is way too important... remember Danny Federici (January 23, 1950 – April 17, 2008), David Sancious, Vini Lopez along with all the session bands and other people who have passed on the stage with E-Street. Bruce, I believe knew Jake had the right fit to join the E-Street Band. His love for story telling comes through and not only does Jake fit right in, I see Bruce smiling on stage, and the Big Man's soul is still right there with the E-Street Band on stage.
    As for Jake, no one knows better than Jake how to play in the shadow of the Big Man, and for those who still hurt from the loss of the Big Man, the healing comes through Jake's lungs and dissipates any negative wind, the sound is cleansed from the saxophones reed; and flows through his instrument to all the fans, along with the E-Street Band all just for simply being human.
    Thank you Jake for that giant step of your unique heart and being your own musician, welcome to the greatest band east of the Delaware River and west of the pond known as the Atlantic Ocean. Since the 1970’s I have traveled to the Jersey Shore and found a songwriter's poet... Bruce is a very lucky man who was given the E-Street Band telling his story. I say let us be witness to the light that shines on stage!

    ReplyDelete